Oops! Google Chrome could not find localhost

I am currently running a Windows 7, 64-bit machine and had noticed lately that I could not access localhost using Google Chrome, but never really took the time to look into it. Finally I decided to dig a bit deeper. After some searching I stumbled on this link regarding the HOSTS file, which, not being my problem, prompted me to take a peek at it. Below are the relevant lines :

# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
#	127.0.0.1       localhost
#	::1             localhost

Dargh!

Uncommenting the IPv4 entry solved my problem

# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
127.0.0.1       localhost
#	::1             localhost

I had noticed that comment in the distant past but did not think much about it. My fix here may yield future problems so one should keep that in mind, the reasons why and a discussion regarding why this change was made to the HOSTS file can be found here.

KB 949080

Recently, after some Microsoft .NET framework updates were applied to our SQL Server, one of our SQL Agent Jobs failed, with the error

System.IO.FileLoadException: Could not load file or
assembly 'System.DirectoryServices, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a'
or one of its dependencies. Assembly in host store has a different signature
than assembly in GAC. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131050)
See Microsoft Knowledge Base article 949080 for more information.</blockquote>

Upon further investigation, and reading the KB article, the solution turned out to be running the following ALTER ASSEMBLY command in the affected database.

ALTER ASSEMBLY [System.DirectoryServices]
FROM 'C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\System.DirectoryServices.dll'

References :

KB 949080
ALTER ASSEMBLY